Cod Almighty | Other stuff
What goes "Yay Town! Swish, thunk"? Why, it's the Grimsby Reaper, metaphorically severing the heads of managers just after their teams have lost to the Mariners!
It was in the early 2000s when we first noticed this pattern. Town would win a game; the other team's chairman would decide nothing could be more humiliating than losing against Grimsby; the manager would pay with his job (or almost, as in Gerard Houllier's case, his life).
Here, then, we list the Reaper's victims in full, for the sake of posterity and to inform future generations about when Town used to be good (and to show off because we just used it to get GTFC into the Totalitarian League on the marvellous 606 With Danny Baker).
27 September 2016: Grimsby 1 Newport 0
28 September 2016: Feeney sacked by Newport
Brian Laws (Brian Laws!)
19 November 2013: Scunthorpe 1 Grimsby 2
20 November 2013: Laws sacked by Scunthorpe
19 October 2013: Grimsby 3 Forest Green 1
21 October 2013: Hockaday leaves Forest Green "by mutual consent"
3 April 2013: Macclesfield 1 Grimsby 3
3 April 2013: King sacked by Macclesfield (more or less right after the match)
26 September 2009: Grimsby 1 Darlington 1
26 September 2009: Todd sacked by Darlington (again, less than an hour after the end of the match)
8 December 2007: Brentford 0 Grimsby 1
11 December 2007: Butcher sacked by Brentford
19 October 2004: Shrewsbury 1 Grimsby 1
22 October 2004: Quinn resigns from Shrewsbury
12 April 2003: Grimsby 1 Crystal Palace 4
18 April 2003: Francis sacked by Palace (we guess they expected to score at least six)
8 October 2002: Grimsby 3 Ipswich 0
11 October 2002: Burley sacked by Ipswich
8 September 2001: Coventry 0 Grimsby 1
10 September 2001: Strachan sacked by Coventry
14 October 2000: Grimsby 1 Huddersfield 0
16 October 2000: Bruce sacked by Huddersfield
8 February 1997: Oldham 0 Grimsby 3
11 February 1997: Sharp sacked by Oldham
15 October 1983: Grimsby 5 Brighton 0
19 October 1983: Melia resigns from Brighton (effectively forced out, as the club removed his responsibility for picking the team)
28 September 1982: Middlesbrough 1 Grimsby 4
29 September 1982: Murdoch sacked by Middlesbrough
We'll claim these as well
- Town beat Southend 4-0 on the last day of the 1996-97 season and Ronnie Whelan was sacked during the summer
- In December 1997 Town beat Preston 3-1; it only took one more game for Gary Peters to be sacked and replaced by David Moyes
- Bristol City lost 2-1 at Blundell Park in October 1998 and John Ward resigned a week later – another manager had been brought in to work alongside him that he wasn't happy about, but we'll have it anyway
- Most impressive of all, we won 2-1 away at Liverpool in the League Cup in October 2001 and four days later Gerard Houllier was rushed to hospital with heart problems
- Sven Goran-Eriksson finally saw the light at Notts County after their over-waged mercenaries narrowly won at Blundell Park and the Munto house of cards finally tumbled to the floor
- At the same time as Sven went, Stuart McCall took a pre-emptive dive by resigning from his post in the week before his failing Bradford team were due to play the Mariners. He knew what was coming
Our thanks to Neville Butt, John Oglesby and Ian Smith for some of the information here. Any more for any more? Send your questions, comments or additions to the death toll through the Cod Almighty feedback form.